About this image
Originally this room was the 1st Duke of Devonshire's Long Gallery. The ceiling of gilded stucco is by Edward Goudge, with paintings by Verrio, survives from this time. The 6th Duke fitted the room out as a library, with an upper gallery of shelves, reached by a secret door. He and Wyatville designed the present gallery and bookcases to receive them, c. 1830. He bought several complete collections of books to add to the many he inherited. There are over 17,000 volumes in here and in the Ante-Library, and now more than 50,000 in the whole collection including many fine 19th and 20th Century books purchased by the 11th Duke of Devonshire (recently deceased).