About this image
All Saints Church. The oldest part of the church is the South porch, built in the Early English style in the late 13th century. There is some very noticeable contrast between the N and S arcades, the N being Decorated whilst the S is Perp with much taller and slender piers. The diagonally buttressed west tower is 14th century, though it was not completed until after 1429, when the Babington family came to Ashover. The church is noted for its graceful 15th-century spire. The church contains a lead lined font dating from the 12th century, one of only 30 in this country. On the bowl are carved standing figures, thought to represent the 12 apostles, under a series of arcades. There is also a fine alabaster tomb chest with effigies of Thomas Babington and his wife. The rood screen inside the church was donated to the church by Thomas Babington. He was an important local landowner who died in 1518, almost a century after the first Babington had moved into the area. In the churchyard 4 memorials can be found to members of Florence Nightingale's family.