This image can be used commercially
F E Steven's No 2 Corn Mill, Shardlow
Off London Road - Trent and Mersey Canal
About this image
The Trent and Mersey Canal's 'Clock Warehouse' at Shardlow, shortly before restoration. Built in 1780, this view shows the building after use as a corn mill by F E Stevens Ltd. It has since been converted for use as a pub and restaurant. The Trent and Mersey Canal in the foreground runs from Runcorn in Cheshire to the river Trent in Derbyshire and is about 90 miles long and was built in 1777 by James Brindley.
This photograph was taken in the late 1960s and shows just how overgrown and silted the main part of the Shardlow Wharf had become; leaving just enough room for one canal boat to pass up into Shardlow Number 2 lock.