c 1960's-70's ?
About this image
Until 1839 the only way of crossing the river Trent between Willington and Repton was by a ferry at Twyford, just downstream from Willington Bridge (The ferry can be seen in DCHQ000827. The ferry continued in use until 1963), or by using an ancient ford which was at the end of nearby ferry green. The nearest existing bridges were at Swarkestone and in Burton upon Trent. A local group of dignitaries pressed for a bridge to be built and in 1835 permission was granted by act of Parliament, to construct a toll bridge between the distinguished engineer of the time, James Trubshaw Esq. At a total cost of £10,560 the opening ceremony took place on August 7th 1839. As the nineteenth century drew to a close pressure mounted to free the bridge from what was seen as an iniquitous toll. After much local effort the 'freedom of the bridge' was finally purchased from the bridge trust, largely as a result from local subscription. The bridge then passed into the control of Derbyshire County Council. August 1st 1898 was a day of celebration, and a procession between the two villages, followed by a feast in Repton, Marked this great day. The bridge has not changed significantly over the past 100 years and it is now a grade 2 listed structure. (This information is from a plaque situated at the Willington end of the bridge, on the site of the original Toll house.)