About this image
The site was originally parkland surrounding an Elizabethan manor, which can be seen here. Drakelow Hall was owned for 850 years by a local family; The Greseley's of Drakelow. In 1200, a William de Gresley held the manor of Drakelow. Drakelow Hall was demolished in 1934 and a power station was built on the site. The 'Painted Room', once a highlight of the Hall, is preserved in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London.