This image can be used commercially
St Wystan's Parish Church, Repton, 1790
St Wystan's Church
About this image
St Wystan's Church was originally built in the Anglo-Saxon period and is the burial place of two kings of Mercia, Aethelbald (d. 757) and Wiglaf (d. 840). The church is dedicated to Wystan, the grandson of the Mercian King Wiglaf, who was brutally murdered in AD849. Wystan was buried in the church alongside his grandfather, but was later removed to Evesham by King Cnut (1016-35). The church stands at the lower part of the village, pleasantly elevated above the meadows; it is a large and handsome structure, principally of Norman architecture, with an elegant, lofty spire. (This picture is part of an engraving plate showing 3 separate scenes of churches).
A copy of this image (DCHQ200129) also appears as part of the Thomas Batement Collection.