This image can be used commercially
Measham Parish Church of St Laurence, 1792
(Once Derbyshire now Leicestershire)
About this image
In 1300 this church replaced a 'chapel of ease' dedicated to St Wystan that had been there for at least 100 years. This chapel was provided by the church and then priory of Repton. During this period there was a dispute between the parishioners of Measham and prior of Repton over the provision of a full time priest. This dispute went to the bishop of Coventry (which had replaced Lichfield as the seat of the see of Lichfield). The dispute was settled in favour of the prior but it again signifies the growth of Measham in that their parishioners felt the need for a full time priest to service them. The Church was re-pewed and a gallery erected in 1842 at a cost of £1600. It was claimed at the time to be able to seat 610 people, of which 316 where free ! Pew rents ended in 1894. The box pews with the doors are of historical significance. Over the years pews have been removed to meet the changing needs of the Church and the seating capacity now is estimated at 250. This picture is part of an engraving plate showing 3 seperate scenes of churches.
A copy of this images (DCHQ200136) also appears in the Thomas Bateman Collection.