About this image
The church of St. John the Baptist (formerly known as All Saints) was built during the reign of Stephen (1135-1154). Standing on an ancient ridgeway, and still shows remains from Norman times with its fine south doorway and chancel arch of that period. It was partially rebuilt in the Early English and Perpendicular periods and the timbers and roof trusses are still there today. The church tower was added in the 15th century. The embattled tower with four pinnacles is supported by buttresses. The bell chamber, which contains three bells, has plain windows and is reached by a small cramped staircase. The lower part of the tower opens into the main church through a high archway rising from carved corbels. In 1591, a new bell, made by a Henry Oldfield, and bearing the inscription 'God save his church', was hung. In 1677, a survey was made to accertain the number of Non-conformists in each parish, in Clowne we find that apart from the 273 Conformists, (C of E.) there were 5 Non-conformists, these were almost certainly Quakers. These figures would suggest an overall population at that time of around 390 persons. The church was extensively refurbished in the 1800's, with new bells, stained glass windows and slate roof. The Norman chancel was rebuilt and enlarged in 1955 when two side chapels were added, one being a miners' chapel dedicated to those who lost their lives in the coal mines.