About this image
This is a postcard in the 'Peak' Series, number 2703. Tapton House was built in the 18th Century by the Wilkinson Family. Tapton House was leased to George Stephenson in 1838. In 1871 it was bought by Charles Markham, Director of Staveley Coal and Iron Company. It was their home until 1925 and then he gave 200 acres of parkland to the Borough. 1931 saw the first pupils to pass through the doors to Tapton House Central Selective School. The school continued till 1993. After refurbishment in September 1994 it became a College of Higher Education for people of Chesterfield and the surrounding area. Tapton House is a Grade II listed building.