About this image
Deep red brick former Wesleyan chapel, built in 1815, with a Flemish shaped gable at the front and a double row of square sash windows all round. As a listed building it is an important element in a most attractive early C19 estate village created by the Harpur-Crewes of nearby Calke Abbey, now a conservation area. Even more exciting is the interior - a delightfully preserved late Georgian ensemble with original galleries on three sides, rostrum and pulpit. Only the downstairs pews have been renewed. The chamber organ, with its 'Gothick' case, dates from 1841 and was acquired from another chapel.