About this image
The inscription on the memorial tablet reads as follows: 'Here rest Leonard Atkin, Colin Gee-Pemberton, Stanley Lodge, Harry Taylor, George Davidson, Charles Bown, Frank Smith, Bernard Gregory, Rowe Kirk, Joseph Hibbard who died in the Markham Colliery May 10 1938. Grant them O Lord eternal rest and let light perpetual shine upon them.' The collieries at Markham were named after Charles Markham, whose family were so prominent in the history and development of the Staveley company and the Chesterfield area. Charles Paxton Markham (1865-1926) the eldest son of Charles Markham (1823-1888) and his younger brother Sir Arthur B. Markham (1866-1916) and his son Sir Charles Markham. The colliery closed in 1994.