About this image
The man on the right of this picture with his back to the camera is Mr Bailey, the Killamarsh blacksmith, who lived to be 103. The overturned lorry, a Leyland vehicle registration number AWD 32, belongs to Bagshot Sawmill. Westthorpe Colliery pit opened in 1923 and by the time of Nationalisation in 1947, there were 881 workers underground and 222 surface workers working the Flockton seam (managed by a Mr G Walker). The Colliery closed in 1984.