This image cannot be used commercially
Date stone of former Hospital, Church Street, Barlborough
Green, H V
About this image
The stone above the door reads 'This Hospital was Erected and Endowed by Mrs Margt. Pole and Mrs Mary Pole, of Park Hall, in this Parish A.D. 1752' The property is now called Chandos Pole House.
This hospital was erected on the site on which formerly stood Wragg's House and another house owned by Mary Naylor. It stands in the east corner of the old hall's (Savile and Garth's) former orchard. The initial agreement was for six people who had two rooms each. Having met quite stringent pre-conditions the residents received the following weekly benefits paid out of the Froggatt (Derbyshire) estate - two shillings and two stack loads of coal. The profit residue from the estate was used to upkeep the building, well ropes and buckets.