About this image
This view shows the new East Wing of Rockside Hydro, from the grounds. The postmark is dated 13 March 1918. Rockside Hydro offered Hydro-therapy as well as Tennis (dry and grass) Courts. Bowling and Croquet Lawns. This view shows the Rockside Hydro, from the grounds. Rock Side Hydropathic Establishment was erected by Mr Charles Rowland, in 1862, and subsequently considerably enlarged. It was situated further up the hill from Smedley's Hydro at a height of 800 feet above the sea level, and could be reached conveniently and comfortably by the cable tram. It later became part of Matlock Teacher Training College, and is today in derelict state of neglect, though plans have been suggested for its development into apartments.