This image can be used commercially
Trent Bridges, Nottingham-West Bridgford
Trent Bridge - River Trent
About this image
A bridge has existed at or around the current location since 924 during the reign of Edward the Elder when an oak superstructure was supported by stone piers - with evidence that the site also had a ferry during occupation by the Danes. In 1156, in the reign of Henry II came a stone, gothic arch style bridge, with 17 arch spans in total. This structure remained for a considerable period with reconstruction works dated at 1275 and 1374. The structure sustained considerable damage during the Cromwellian wars, with a great flood further adding to the damage. The bridge as it appears today was constructed over a three-year period between 1868 and 1871, for the price of £36,000. Construction took place alongside the existing bridge, until the completion of the new bridge allowed the older structure to be demolished.. Two of the approach spans to the older bridge still remain, next to the road outside County Hall. The bridge was then widened (1924 - 1925) on the upstream (south-west) side to allow the six-lane capacity that exists today.