This image can be used commercially
Ruins of Eastwood Hall, Ashover - destroyed by Roundhead during the Civil War
About this image
Eastwood Hall or New Hall was acquired in 1282 by the Reresbys and had recently passed into the family of the Bournes when it was destroyed in 1646 by a party of Royalist soldiers from Bolsover garrison. The following lines describe its destruction 'The Roundheads they came down upon Eastwood Old Hall, They tried it with mattock and tried it with ball, They tore up the leadwork and splintered the wood, But firmly as ever the battlements stood; But a barrel of powder at last did the thing, And then they sang psalms for the fall of the King.' The ruins can still be seen about 1 mile to the east of the village.