Illuminated address presented to Inspector T J Kennedy of the Derbyshire County Police Force, Matloc
About this image
An illuminated address presented on behalf of the people of Matlock to Inspector Thomas Joseph (Joe) Kennedy of the Derbyshire County Police Force on the occasion of his retirement after 31 years' service. The presentation took place in the cafe at the Matlock Cinema House on the corner of Causeway Lane and Steep Turnpike a few weeks after his official retirement on 31 December 1934 and also included the gift of a cheque for £100. See DCHQ000985 for a photo of the actual presentation.
Inspector Kennedy was born at Acton Burnell near Shrewsbury on 16 May 1884 and joined the Derbyshire Constabulary on 15 June 1903 under the terms of the 1890 Police Act. As a Constable he served at Fairfield, Matlock, Chesterfield, Buxton, Duffield and Matlock Bridge, becoming a Merit Constable six years later. In 1911 he transferred to Belper and then after a further three years to Baslow where he spent most of the First World War, becoming a good Class Constable in 1917 and then a Sergeant a year later when he moved to Alvaston. Further moves to Melbourne, Fairfield and Buxton followed. On 1 July 1924 he was promoted to Inspector, together with his final transfer to Matlock where he took charge of the Sub-Division. He retired with 'Exemplary Character a decade later after 31 years service and having received a total of 14 commendations from Magistrates and his Chief Constable.
The illuminated address was the creation of a Mr J Buchan of London, described as 'a handless craftsman brought up in the National Children's Home' whose work 'was carried out with mechanical appendages'.
Picture the Past is grateful to Mr John F Kirwan for supplying the information above.