This image can be used commercially
Cromford Canal, Golden Valley Bridge
early 20th century
About this image
This view is looking towards the house today know as Valley Lodge which is opposite the Newlands Inn on the main road which passes over the bridge. Therefore this image shows the section of canal which lies between the east portal of the Butterley Tunnel and Codnor Park reservoir before the Pinxton branch diverges.
The Cromford Canal Company was formed in 1789 and commissioned by Parliament to cut a canal. They raised £46000 to complete to construction and it opened later on it that year. Disaster struck the Cromford Canal when the Butterley tunnel collapsed in 1900 isolating the northern section. The canal has since been severed in several places. However, water still remains from Cromford to Ambergate. Today, this section is owned by Derbyshire County Council. The section seen here was between Ambergate and the Butterley Tunnel.