This image can be used commercially
Guests in the gardens of the New Bath Hotel
c 1920 ?
New Bath Hotel
About this image
People have been staying at this location since 1698. The new bath after which the hotel is named was a naturally heated spa bath opened in 1745 about a quarter of a mile away from the first primitive mineral bath which had operated since 1698. The New Bath, to distinguish it from the Old Bath had water 'as warm if not warmer than the other Bath'. By the end of the 18th century the bath and its arched stone roof were incorporated into the hotel building. Today the 'new bath' serves as the hotels indoor plunge pool and is still fed by the waters of the mineral spring which emerge from the ground at a constant 68F winter and summer.