This image cannot be used commercially
Derbyshire Yeomanry at training camp, Retford
Ernest A Smith
Smith, Ernest A
About this image
Despite the captioning of this photograph as 'B' squadron of the Sherwood Rangers at Retford, it is in fact The Derbyshire Yeomanry training at Retford. The Derbyshire Yeomanry was first formed as the Derbyshire Regiment of Fencible Cavalry on 22 October 1794, in response to the threatened French invasion. The outbreak of the South African War in 1899 signalled the Regiment's first major action and as part of The Imperial Yeomanry they fought with distinction and were awarded their first battle honour. In 1900 the Imperial Yeomanry volunteers were authorised by Royal Warrant for service in the Second Anglo-Boer War. The first Contingent companies of volunteers (10,242 men) formed throughout UK for 12 months service; some were newly raised, and others (one third) were sponsored by part-time Yeomanry Cavalry regiments which were not liable for overseas service. The Derbyshire volunteers served in the 4th Battalion, the 8th and 104th coys. In 1908 they became The Derbyshire Yeomanry (Dragoons).