This image can be used commercially
Hartshay Colliery, Hartshay, 1960s
About this image
This colliery contributed to the trade of the Cromford Canal prior to the advent of the railways. It was linked by tramway to Buckland Hollow Wharf. Coal production ceased here in 1936, though from 1939-1948 it was used to train Bevin Boys. Bevin Boys were conscripts chosen by ballot to work in the mines, rather than to join the army. They were named after the Rt Hon Ernest Bevin, the wartime Minister of Labour and former leader of the Transport and General Workers Union. From December 1943 until the end of the war, 48,000 Bevin Boys were directed to work in the coal mines and many were not released from their war work until several years after the war had ended. At the time this photograph was taken the colliery buildings were used as a depot and workshop by a road haulage company.