About this image
These almshouses were erected in 1719 by Sir Phillip Gell, for two poor men and two poor women of the village. Phillip Gell is most noted for his construction of the Via Gellia. The Via Gellia runs from Grangemill to Cromford and was constructed through the Griffe Grange Valley in the 1790's by Philip Gell of Hopton Hall, a local industrialist. The road was built to improve access between the family lead mines at Carsington and a smelter at Cromford, and was named the Via Gellia (' The Gell Way') by Philip Gell, who had a great interest in Roman Culture. 'Via Gellia' is now often used to refer to the whole valley, not just the road.