About this image
Fere mere in the village of Monyash, and St Leonard's Church beyond. The village of Monyash is believed to have developed because of the availability of water. The water in the mere is from a natural spring captured in natural hollows, which were lined with boulder clay. There were once five meres in the village, though they are an unusual feature for a limestone area. Now only Fere Mere remains. The Church of St Leonard dates back to before 1200, and houses a sedilia and piscina which were installed in c 1199. Built out of local limestone, the church originally consisted solely of a nave and chancel, but by the end of the 14th century it had grown to its present size with north and south aisles and transepts, and a tower capped by an octagonal spire. The church is a Grade II listed building of national importance. A major restoration project is currently underway and money is being raised to deal with crumbling stone work around some of the medieval windows.