This image can be used commercially
Waingroves Methodist Church
Claire Willmer, Photographer
About this image
A methodist chapel built as a 'Refuge Chapel' in 1867 and restored and enlarged in 1880 after a fire a year earlier. The centenary of the Sunday School is marked on one of the windows as 1880. During the 1960s, a great deal of restoration took place with new doors, windows, a modern toilet, a coffee bar, kitchen and gas boiler installed. There was a special re-dedication service and celebration following this and considerable re-decoration in October 1970. In 1997, building land on Waingroves Road became available. After much uncertainty, the church council successfully purchased the plot and Peter Koyander designed a new chapel. The new modern Church was opened on 10th March 2001.