About this image
Showing The old Pottery Kiln, School, church and The Goseley Estate. Woodville is an industrialised village sitting astride the busy A50 road on the Derbyshire-Leicestershire border. Five roads converge onto a traffic island which is referred to as Woodville Tollgate. Until 1845 this area was known as 'Wooden Box' and consisted of a string of cottages and a tavern along the road to Ashby de la Zouch. The name was derived from an old port wine butt which was a shelter for the toll-keeper; this was located near to the present traffic island. Many people still refer to this area as 'Wooden Box' or, more colloquially, 'Box'. In 1845 the name Woodville was given to the village, and the consolidated chapelry of Woodville was formed by Queen Victoria. From being a rural hamlet it took off into the industrial revolution; there was an abundance of clay in the area and that provided the raw material for the flourishing sanitary earthenware trade. These items were purely functional and it was a proud boast that you could go anywhere in the world and use examples bearing the trademarks of either Outrams or Nadin & Parker. The potteries needed packaging for their wares so crate shops sprang up, adding other employment to the village. Brunt, Bucknal & Co lost no time in opening up a brewery to satisfy the thirst of the workers. Remnants of the past remain; a Victorian post box set in a wall adjoining Butt farm, and, although they are without their outer brickwork, two bottle kilns still stand. One is near the Tollgate, the other behind a furniture shop in High Street. The area between Butt Lane and Sun Street was considered to be the oldest part of the village; it was named `The City' and no doubt it was the hub of Woodville in the l9th century. Butt Lodge is reputed to be the oldest house, it stands back from its larger neighbour Butt House. The `Butt' referred to has nothing to do with wine or water, but with the archery butts located down the lane. St Stephen's church was built in 1846 along Moira Road. One of its benefactors was Queen Adelaide, widow of William IV. A Church of England school and church hall were built nearby. The school was moved to High Street some years ago, but the building is now used as a community centre. Not one, but four Methodist churches have been erected since 1816. Redevelopment has taken place along High Street; making way for sheltered housing and flats and new houses have been built.