About this image
Ogston Hall, in spite of its Victorian appearance, has a long history and features in the Domesday Book as part of the Manor of Morton, belonging to Walter Deincourt. The earliest part of the present house is described as 'pre-Reformation' by Pevsner. A new block was added by William Revell and his wife Mary (daughter of George Sitwell of Renishaw Hall) in 1659 and a new stable wing was added by J Revell in 1695. After the Revell line died out, the estate passed to the Turbett family who carried out more work on the house and gardens. In the 17th century, they built a completely new house in the south east corner. The architect is listed as Joseph Pickford of Derby. Later, between 1851 and 1864 the whole house was modernised under Gladwyn Turbett, and a porch, bay windows and a Gothic tower were added. In 1957-8, Ogston Reservoir was constructed by damming the River Amber at the south end of the valley. Originally, its purpose was to provide water for the Avenue (Carbonisation) Plant at Wingerworth, which has since closed. The reservoir now serves the whole of North East Derbyshire's domestic population with water. The reservoir covers some two hundred acres and nearby buildings and a section of the Ashover Light Railway lie beneath the waters.