This image cannot be used commercially
Foston Hall Detention Centre, Foston, 1981
Derby Evening Telegraph
23 November 1981
About this image
The original Foston Hall was probably built by the Agard Family in the 15th century. They lived there until it was sold in the 1770's. It was totally rebuilt in Jacobean style (designed by T. C. Hine) after a serious fire in 1836. In 1878 it passed to Admiral Sir Arthur Cumming, most noted for his daring exploits with pirates. During the Second World War, the children from the Railway Servent's Orphanage in Derby were evacuated here for safety. Post war, it was it was bought by the Home Office and converted into a detention centre and a prison. The hall became a women's prison in 1997 and is now a Grade II listed building.