About this image
Swanwick Hall dates to the mid 18th century. The Wood Family, owners of substantial land and mineral rights in the area, moved into the Hall. Hugo Wood lived there with his family, and a nationally famous painting of his children by Joseph Wright of Derby, used to hang in it's dining room. Derbyshire County Council bought the Hall in 1920 after the death of Hugo Wood, and two years later it was opened as a Grammar School.