This image can be used commercially
Heage Tower Windmill, Nether Heage, c 1970s
About this image
The Heage Windmill, taken after its restoration by Derbyshire County Council. The windmill, which was originally constructed in the 1790's, was rebuilt by George Chell, but with 6 sails instead of 4 to increase the power after a storm devastated the building in 1894. The windmill was again struck by lightning in 1961. A preservation order was placed upon the mill in 1966 by Derbyshire County Council, now a Grade 2 listed building. Thanks to a Heritage Lottery Grant the windmill was restored and in working order by 2002, and is cared for by the Heage Windmill Society.
Website contributor Nigel Hunt - who lived across the road from the windmill - very kindly relates the following information: "This is taken in the early 1970s, when Mr Parkin still had his vegetable garden. He died c 1974, or thereabouts. The windmill has had its first roof put on."