This image can be used commercially
Heage Windmill, Nether Heage
About this image
The windmill, which was originally constructed in the 1790's, was rebuilt by George Chell, but with 6 sails instead of 4 to increase the power after a storm devastated the building in 1894. The windmill was again struck by lightning in 1961, and the damage is recorded in this photograph. A preservation order was placed upon the mill in 1966 by Derbyshire County Council, now a Grade 2 listed building. Thanks to a Heritage Lottery Grant the windmill was restored and in working order in 2002, and is cared for by the Heage Windmill Society. H Brighouse copied this photograph in 1967.