This image can be used commercially
Whittington Hall, Old Whittington
About this image
Whittington Hall was built by the Dixon Family, local glass manufacturers, who lived there until their business shut down in 1850. Richard Dixon opened his factory at Glass House Common in 1710 and produced drinking glasses and wine and ale bottles. After the Dixon Family left Whittington Hall, the house passes through several hands until, in 1902, it was leased to Reverend Burden. He established an 'Institute for Inebriate Reform' here which was is use for 21 years. Pevsner lists the building as a hospital in 1953. The grounds have now been turned into a small housing estate and the main house into luxury apartments.