About this image
The church of St Michael with St Mary is on the site of a much earlier Anglo Saxon building, and is regarded as one of the finest Norman Parish Churches in the country. It mainly dates to the 12th century, with some later additions. It was built as a retreat for the Bishops of Carlisle, who were under constant threat of raids and violence in their northern parish. The church has a central crossing tower, a nave of 5 bays, aisles and transepts. All of this is Norman with the exception of the Perp aisle windows and east windows, due to the alteration of the chancel which originally ended in an apse. It contains alabaster slabs to Henry Hardie, who died in 1613, Anne Harding, who died in 1673 and Sir Robert Harding, who died in 1679.
Image taken by photographer E Martin. Edward Martin was born in Derby but lived in Melbourne, he owned two studios, Ashby Road and Potters Street. He was a prolific photographer of local places of interest which he sold in postcard form in and around Melbourne in local shops as well as from his studio. Many of his original glass plates have survived and are held in the Archives at Derbyshire Record Office, Matlock. He has a large number of photographs owned by the National Trust, these are of mainly the Crewe family at Calke Abbey, and can be seen in the National Archives in London or online. (Additional information very kindly supplied by Karan O'Connor).