About this image
St John the Baptist church dates back almost a 1000 years. The oldest parts (Saxon) include the narrow arch between the chancel and the sanctuary, the two large pillars on the north aisle, a small loop window in the north wall, and the large arch between the Nave and the chancel. A carving in the large tympanum above the south door shows the legend of St Margaret of Antioch, who emerged from the body of the devil (left) and a lamb and cross (right). The lintel portrays St George and the Dragon, separated by a cross. The church is cruciform in shape with a central crossing tower, dating to the 15th century. The Norman west arch is ornamented with carvings illustrating the book of Genesis, whilst the narrow and plain east arch opening into the chancel is claimed to be of Saxon origin. The furniture inside mostly dates from a restoration of 1885-8 by Butterfield but the south aisle east window has stained glass featuring the Crucifixion dated 1527, below which is a monument of 1627 in an Italianate style to Anne Keighley, wife of the first Earl of Devonshire. A slab in front of this monument commemorates the philosopher Thomas Hobbes, the philosopher and was tutor to Charles II. Hobbes, who is famous for his book 'Leviathan', and who died at nearby Hardwick Hall in 1679.