About this image
Smedley's Hydropathic Establishment was built in the 1850's by John Smedley, with castellated additions in c 1867, and french chateau style additions in 1885. A winter gardens of c 1900 can be seen here on the left, and at the other end was a colonnaded exercise area. The Hydro had its own private church, demolished in 1958-9. Smedley's hydro was enormously successful. In 1867 Smedley treated 2,000 patients (despite competition from 9 other spa establishments in Matlock Bath) and costing from six Shillings per day for food, lodging and treatment. The establishment then passed into the hands of the Matlock Bank Hydropathic Company (Limited), and was under the care of Dr. Hunter. It remained in use until the mid 20th century. The buildings were finally bought by Derbyshire County Council for their headquarters in 1955. Postcard date stamped March 30th 1906.