This image can be used commercially
The Goyt Viaduct, New Mills
The Goyt Viaduct
About this image
The Goyt Viaduct was erected 97 feet above the convergence of the Goyt and Sett Rivers in the Torrs in 1884, and towers over the ruins of a once important mill. Although New Mills came into existence in the late eighteenth century as an industrial village involved in cotton textiles, its name is derived from a hamlet which grew up around a fourteenth century manorial corn mill, 'the New Mylne', enclosed by a loop of the river Sett, which was located near the site of the present Salem Mill (at the bottom of High Street). New Mills and the spire of St George's Church, built in 1829-30 by R D Chantrell, can be seen in the background.