About this image
St Wystan's Church was originally built in the Anglo-Saxon period, and was dedicated to Wystan, the grandson of the Mercian King Wiglaf, who was murdered in AD849. Wystan was buried in the church alongside his grandfather, but was later removed to Evesham by King Cnut (1016-35). A priory was founded in Repton about 1172 but was dissolved at the Reformation. On the site of the priory ruins, Repton School was established under the will of Sir John Port of Etwall in 1557. The priory arch and the west wing of the cloister court now form the entrance to the school. The cross in the foreground is the heart of Repton and reputedly where christianity was first preached in the midlands in AD653. Until the end of the 19th century regular markets and fairs took place in the area between the cross and the priory arch. It was here that in 1848 a man brought his wife, with a halter round her waist, and offered her for sale for a shilling!