This image can be used commercially
The entrance to Smedley's Hydro, Matlock
About this image
The hydro was built in the mid 19th century by John Smedley, the heir to a hosiery business at Lea Mills. He founded the hydro after he was cured from Typhus Fever with a series of 'water treatments'. The hydro was extremely successful and was expanded in 1863 due to increasing demand. The building now houses Derbyshire County Council Offices.