About this image
Edward Mosley had bought Etwall Hall some time around 1622 after purchasing nearby Rolleston Hall, Edward may therefore have lived in Etwall Hall for some years but his business would require him to have residences in Lancashire and London. He sold it to Sir Samuel Sleigh some time after 1629. The latter made great additions to Etwall Hall using masonry from the ruins of Tutbury Castle. Sir Samuel was Sheriff of Derbys. 1648 & 66 and MP in 1679. It is noted as being the home of Sir John Port who founded Repton school in the 16th century. The hall's wrought iron gates, made by Robert Bakewell of Derby, now stand at the entrance to Port Hospital Almshouses which were rebuilt in 1681 and recently restored again. The hall was demolished in 1955. John Port School now occupies the site.