This image can be used commercially
The Gateway, Memorial garden gates
early 20th century
About this image
These gates were originally the main entrance to the school in 1870. In each half of the two cast iron gates are the monograms of William Hatfield Rodes and Sophia Felicity Rodes, joint Lords of the Manor at this period.
The words above the gate arch are of the greek alphabet and translate to the names 'Sophia and Makaria'. Above that is the word 'Mizpah' which can also be written as Miz'peh, and means watch-tower; the look-out. It was also a place in Gilead, so named by Laban, who overtook Jacob at this spot (Gen. 31:49) on his return to Palestine from Padan-aram. Here Jacob and Laban set up their memorial cairn of stones. It is the same as Ramath-mizpeh (Josh. 13:26). The Date on the gates in Latin Numerals is 1869.