About this image
The house was rebuilt c 1810-20. Pigot's Commercial Directory of Derbyshire lists Captain John White as a resident of this house in 1835. John White Esq. was born in 1790 and died in 1866. A record of shipping holds the reference:- 'Captain John White, left London on 2nd October 1849 with the ship 'Berkshire', bound for New Zealand carrying emigrants. She ran aground at Nelson on 1st. February 1850. Her forward passengers were carried to Wellington by the Woodstock, and those for Otago, six in number, by the schooner Perseverance, arriving 12th. March 1850'. The Hall was open to the public - and was particularly popular for its open-air swimming pool. The pool was in a secluded setting surrounded by statues and trees and backed by moorland. From 1901 until the 1930's the hall was owned by the Co-operative Holiday Association which gave free holidays to poor or handicapped people.