This image cannot be used commercially
Olive and Partington's Tiger Tractor, Norfolk Street, Glossop, 1948
Glossop Heritage Trust - The Jim and Edith Bennett Archive
About this image
The Tiger tractor is coming out of the Glossop railway station goods shed yard on Norfolk Street; the shed is now the Co-op supermarket.
This tractor engine is one of a fleet of four originally purchased by paper makers Olive & Partington from Glossop, where it worked until 1960. It was one of a fleet of four engines that carried the timber for pulp making, from the railway station to the works. It was bought in 1988 by David Cope, who did a fine job in completely restoring it. Named after Edward Partington, who became Lord Doverdale in 1917. One of the Tiger Tractors was driven for over 20 years by Fred Cox. The tractor transported the logs through the town from Glossop Railway station up Victoria street to Partingtons Mill.