This image can be used commercially
The Crescent Hotel, Buxton
About this image
The Crescent, consciously modelled on that of Bath, was built for the Duke between 1780 and 1784 by John Carr, out of locally quarried gritstone, and included a ballroom and an Assembly Room as well as a town house for the Duke and shops along the ground floor. It displays a magnificent face that is 240 feet in length and bears the coat of arms of the Duke of Devonshire at its centre. The eastern end of the building shown here, contains an entrance to the Crescent Hotel and the old thermal baths which were built in 1854 and now houses the modern Cavendish shopping arcade. The Crescent is a Grade 1 Listed Building, which currently has proposed plans for its restoration.