Ashby de la Zouch
About this image
The castle was built by Sir William Hastings (created Baron Hastings by Edward IV) in the 15th Century. He built the magnificent self-contained fortress of Hastings tower, over 24m (80ft) high. Mary, Queen of Scots, was once prisoner in the castle. Unfortunately, the castle was partially demolished by order of the Committee of the House of Commons in 1649. There are significant remains of a tower, parts of walls, a great hall, private chambers, a huge kitchen and a splendid chapel. Nearby fields were the setting for Sir Walter Scott's 'Ivanhoe'.