About this image
Carnival Queen Marjorie Birley and attendants Elsie Smith, Doreen Clark, Jean Fletcher, Betty Tilson, Brenda Parker, Audrey Bowers, Arthur Negus and Kenneth Swift, with Mr Oldham, Headmaster of Tamworth Road Shool, Long Eaton.
See also image DCER001609.
HERITAGE OF WEST PARK
The original establishment of a major open space for the enjoyment of the people of Long Eaton began in 1905 when 17 acres of land was bought for the sum of £2,650. The land was drained and laid out under the supervision of the surveyor, thus providing the nucleus of what we now know as West Park.
The entrance to the original park, first known as the "King's Ground", was rather inconveniently placed in Princess Street and in 1912 a further 8 acres of land was purchased from the Earl of Harrington taking the eastern boundary up to the Erewash Canal. In 1913 a footbridge was opened giving access from Broad Street to the, newly named, West Park. By 1915 an agreement had been reached which provided a further entrance from Leopold Street.
A further extension to the park was considered in the 1920s which, on reaching maturity in 1928, added an extra 37 acres and placed the western boundary on Wilsthorpe Road. In 1932 a pair of wrought iron gates, purchased from Aston Hall at Aston-On-Trent, were subsequently erected at the Wilsthorpe Road entrance. They still provide the imposing western entrance today.
1949 saw the purchase of another 65 acres of land to the south of the park including the Spinney known as Fox Covert, so increasing the area of the park to its present total of 127 acres.