This image cannot be used commercially
Field House Windmill, Derby Road, Ilkeston, early 20th century
Mrs D Jackson
Early 20th century
About this image
According to a report in the 'Ilkeston Pioneer' of 3rd August 1934, this mill was moved to its Derby Road location in the middle of the 19th century and also identified the last miller as a Mr Mellor, living nearby. The mill was moved from a previous location off Nottingham Road which was later occupied by 'Field House', (and from the mid 20th century, the College of Further Education). The Ordnance Survey (OS) map of 1899 suggests that the mill was still working; the OS map of 1913 indicates it as 'disused'. The catalogue for September 1920 sale of the Duke of Rutland's Ilkeston Estates refers to 'the remains of an old windmill'. A report in the 'Ilkeston Advertiser' of 15th February 1929 states 'Its derelict form is still to be seen'. A bungalow was built on the site.