About this image
This was John and Benjamin Towle's Cotton Mill which was located at the southern extremity of Borrowash at the Elvaston end of Station Road, near to the river Derwent. It occupied the site of a corn mill which formerly belonged to Dale Abbey. The factory was located at this point to utilise water which fed from the Derwent along a mill stream and which powered the mill machinery. In 1835 upwards of four hundred and fifty of the inhabitants were employed there, involved in the manufacture of twist thread lace. In 1840 about 30 children were employed at Messrs. Towle's factory, these attended a school in Borrowash half a day daily. White's Directory of 1857 records that by that time only 250 persons were employed there. The factory later moved to Brook Road. All that remains today are a few brick foundations of the building.