This image cannot be used commercially
Borrowash Railway Station
c 1910's ?
About this image
A station was first opened at Borrowash in 1839 on completion of the Derby-Nottingham section of the Midland Counties Railway. This was located to the east of the bridge carrying Station Road but only lasted until 1871 when a more spacious replacement came into use on the west side of the road. It is this that is shown here with the photographer looking west. The 1871 station was of typical Midland Railway design with a standard twin-gabled station building on the westbound platform and a matching waiting room on the eastbound platform. The footbridge linking the platforms is to another standard MR design, as is the signal box to its rear. The latter dated from 1892, having replaced an earlier box, and survived until 1965. From 1898 to 1904 timetables give the station's name as Borrowash for Ockbrook, but it is unclear whether this was ever carried on the nameboards themselves. The station closed in 1966 and has since been demolished.