About this image
Also showing the lock keepers cottage on the north bank of the canal. This is the lock located just to the north of the railway station (not the 'bottom' lock near Shacklecross). The Derby Canal was commissioned in 1793 and Benjamin Outram was appointed engineer. When the canal was opened in 1796, it was 14 miles long, and ran from a junction with the Erewash Canal at Sandiacre to a junction with the Trent and Mersey Canal at Swarkestone. The Derby Canal was owned by the Derby Canal Company and was never nationalised. It was abandoned in 1964 but now the Derby Canal Society are trying to restore it. The Derby & Sandiacre Canal Society and Trust was set up with the intention of making the Derby Canal fully navigable from end to end. Two main restoration sites were begun, one at Swarkestone near the junction with the Trent & Mersey Canal and the other at Borrowash to the east of Derby. Money was raised by the society and this included grants from local councils. At Borrowash the land on which the canal used to travel through now belonged to Redrow Homes who were building a housing estate in the area. The building company donated an 870 yards stretch of land (through which the canal once ran) to the canal society. Redrow Homes have also donated £15,000 towards the canal's restoration. In 1995, using the money from Redrow Homes, along with a further £15,000 from a local enterprise scheme and £30,000 from English Partnerships, the society began to restore the Borrowash section. Redrow Homes helped with work which included the clearing of refuse tipped into the cut over many decades. Borrowash Bottom Lock was successfully excavated.