About this image
The mine was sunk c 1895 by Mapperley Colliery Company. According to folklore it was known as 'Nibble'm' or 'Nibby' because of wage cuts made in early days. It closed on 7 July 1961. This view was taken looking north east, towards the screens, headstock and spoil heap beyond. The cottages on the right are on a siding of West Hallam station. Most of the mine site lies in Dale Abbey parish.