About this image
This etching shows the 1840 north portal of Redhill Tunnel and dates from the mid 1850's. The castelations were a sop to the resident of Thrumpton Hall, the south portal being very plain. The towers were reputed to be the residence of the lengthman designated to inspect the tunnel. The line was widened to 4 tracks in 1895 and a second bore was dug. The north portal again received castelations in keeping with the earlier one.